On 04/15/2013 06:35 PM, Thomas Wakefield wrote:
Help-

I have multiple gluster filesystems, all with the setting:
cluster.min-free-disk: 500GB.  My understanding is that this setting should
stop new writes to a brick with less than 500GB of free space.  But that
existing files might expand, which is why I went with a high number like 500GB.
 But I am still getting full bricks, frequently it's the first brick in the
cluster that suddenly fills up.

Can someone tell me how gluster chooses where to write a file.  And why the
min-free-disk is being ignored.

Running 3.3.1 currently on all servers.

Thanks,
-Tom

Except for the full-brick allocation, which I haven't read the source to figure out, here's a general answer to your question about how the client chooses where to place a file: http://joejulian.name/blog/dht-misses-are-expensive/