On 06/13/2013 03:38 PM, John Brunelle wrote:
Hello,

We're having an issue with our distributed gluster filesystem:

* gluster 3.3.1 servers and clients
* distributed volume -- 69 bricks (4.6T each) split evenly across 3 nodes
* xfs backend
* nfs clients
* nfs.enable-ino32: On

* servers: CentOS 6.3, 2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64
* cleints: CentOS 5.7, 2.6.18-274.12.1.el5

We have a directory containing 3,343 subdirectories.  On some clients,
ls lists only a subset of the directories (a different amount on
different clients).  On others, ls gets stuck in a getdents loop and
consumes more and more memory until it hits ENOMEM.  On yet others, it
works fine.  Having the bad clients remount or drop caches makes the
problem temporarily go away, but eventually it comes back.  The issue
sounds a lot like bug #838784, but we are using xfs on the backend,
and this seems like more of a client issue.

Turning on "cluster.readdir-optimize" can help readdir when a directory contains a number of sub-directories and there are more bricks in the volume. Do you observe any change with this option enabled?

-Vijay