> It is very hard to compare them because they are structurally very different.
> For example, GlusterFS performance will depend *a lot* on the underlying file
> system performance. Ceph eliminated that factor by using Bluestore.
> Ceph is very well performing for VM storage, since it's block based and as
> such optimized for that. I haven't tested CephFS a lot (I used it but only
> for very small storage) so I cannot speak for its performance, but I am
> guessing it's not ideal. For large amount of files thus GlusterFS is still a
> good choice.

Was your experience above based on using a sharded volume or a normal
one? When we worked with virtual machine images, we followed the volume
sharding advice. I don't have a comparison for Ceph handy. I was just
curious. It worked so well for us (but maybe our storage is "too good")
that we found it hard to imagine it could be improved much. This was a
simple case though of a single VM, 3 gluster servers, a sharded volume,
and a raw virtual machine image. Probably a simpler case than yours.

Thank you for writing this and take care,

Erik

________