Actually I used 'replace-brick' several times and I had no issues.
I guess you can 'remove brick replica <old count - 1> old_brick' and later 'add
brick replica <reduced count + 1> new brick' ...

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov

В сряда, 16 септември 2020 г., 08:41:29 Гринуич+3, Alex Wakefield
<alexwakefi...@fastmail.com.au> написа:

Hi all,

We have a distribute replicate gluster volume running Gluster 6.10 on Ubuntu
18.04 machines. Its a 2 x 2 brick setup (2 bricks, 2 replicas).

We need to migrate the existing bricks to new hardware without downtime and are
lost at whats the proper way to do it. I've found this post [1] which suggests
that we can do a replace-brick command and move it to the new server without
downtime but this [2] mailinglist thread suggests this isn't the correct way to
do it anymore?

The gluster docs [3] have information for replacing _faulty_ bricks but our
bricks aren't faulty, we just need to move them to new hardware. We've tried
using this method mentioned in the docs in the past but have found that the
volume gets into weird states where files go into read-only mode or have their
permissions set to root:root. It basically plays havoc on the fs mount that the
clients use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if I've left any information
out.

[1]: https://joejulian.name/post/replacing-a-glusterfs-server-best-practice/
[2]: https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2012-October/011502.html
[3]: