Frank,

The official place for suggestions has always been tied to the help pages
and/or "gear" icon.  I just checked and now from the gear I have a specific
"Send Feedback"   While I have never heard of Google sending back a
personal response "Zack, thanks for your suggestion...", I have heard of
many suggestions, including ones I've made, getting implemented.  In fact,
something I suggested a couple months ago recently came into use (having to
do with calendar and gmail integration.

I make it a point to be very clear with my suggestions, including specific
details about problems found, or suggestions on how one might add the
feature I wanted.  I'm sure that helps them to prioritize what changes they
make.  One method used is to discuss your wordings here.  And false
statements like "everyone else does it" don't help your case.  Online
petitions don't help, they're too easy to fake results.

Rest assured, Google turned on POP and IMAP to give user's options, so
you're welcome to continue using it in a way that you're comfortable with.