> Back to the new compose window, if you bring up the formatting options
> while you happen to be editing the bottom line, it moves the text up so
> that it doesn't 'clutter' the last line as you say.
>
> That wasn't my experience, Marko.  Could be that the new Compose performs
differently in different browsers.  I develop and maintain websites, and
all I have to say is, "Internet Explorer" and most everyone reading this
will understand.  But it may also be true that because of this
inconsistency Gmail developers hace changed the code and the new Compose
behaves now just as you say across all browsers. I wouldn't know about
recent changes because as soon as I found out how to get back to the
classic Compose, I went AWOL with the new Compose.

BTW, you'll notice I said "different," not "wrong."  I finally get to say
that sometime IE gets it right, and it's taught me to takes it's
differences seriously, and scrutinize my code before I insert an
unnecessary IE hack.

> The compose window is not a word processing program. It's primary function
> is to compose email, not format text.

Then why bother allowing bolding, lists, indenting, et al.?  These ARE
features common to word processing programs and they make one's e-mail look
better.  I know.  I was sending and receiving e-mails all over the world
back before most people even knew about ARPANET, and it hadn't become the
Internet.  Dinosaurs were roaming the earth then, and Abraham Lincoln
wasn't even a gleam in his father's eye.  And when I heard about web pages,
I thought how stupid; e-mail is why people will get excited about the
Internet. Websites will go the way of of hula hoop.

Hula hoop?  Ask your grandparents.

For this very reason I prefer that the formatting options, which are rarely
> used, stay hidden

The point of showing all the formatting options is to remind the user that
they're there.  If the "rarely used" options--whatever that means--are
hidden, it's a sure thing they'll be forgotten. See hula hoop.

 and provide me more space for my actual message *and* also to see the
> conversation below.

The space for the message is the space for the message.  Since I've never
reached a limit, as I see it the formatting options make no difference;
they are outside the text area which ever Compose is being used.  And did
you mean "above"?  I was under the impression you were taking the side of
the new Compose.

Basic formatting (bold, italics, underline and alignment) is easily done
> using the keyboard without having to click anything.

I believe most of us who are in a graphical user interface environment
forget what those keyboard shortcuts are.  That's one of the selling points
of GUI--we don't have to remember.. Granted in many cases the keyboard
shortcuts are more efficient, but I for one only remember the ones I use
often (ctrl-c, ctrl-z, and ctrl-v for example). Thank goodness I don't have
to pass a driver's test for computers. :-/

All the best,

Alvin