Zack,
That isn't 100% correct.  Yes, Google has stopped allowing users to use
ActiveSync which is what Exchange uses to sync mail.
  This change was only for new connections, if you had an existing
connection setup it continued to work.  Also, if you have a paid Google
Apps account you can still use ActiveSync to sync your Google mail,
contacts, and calendar.  From iOS you would use the Exchange option to use
ActiveSync.  But, when setting up a new mail account in iOS just select the
Google option.  This will sync your mail with IMAP, your calendar with
CalDAV, and your contacts with CardDAV.  It sets this all up automatically
for you.  I am not using this method over the ActiveSync and it works
perfectly and very easy to setup.

Jeff