Actually I find when sending to other Gmail accounts the read more dots
will still hide the signature. I get around this by deleting the periods in
the compose window.

Adam, do you still see three periods in your compose window? If they are
there, and you are placing the signature after them, this was an issue for
me with auto signature on, but might help you in your case.