Starting on Oct 9, my emails will show an embedded image once (the first
time the email is opened) but after that only a small square shaped icon
shows up, and the image cannot be opened. This happens when using IE,
Chrome, or Firefox as browser. I have no filters, labs, or themes connected
to Gmail. I do not have Google Drive installed on either of my computers.

Clarification - I frequently embed a photo when sending an email to family
and/or friends. This has always worked easily until about 2-3 weeks ago
(I've been away for a while) when the process of embedding became
different, requiring a few more clicks and an "Upload" of the image (upload
to where?? - I don't know. I initially thought the upload went to Google
Drive, but maybe not, since I don't have Drive installed). That was okay,
as long as Gmail didn't strip out the embedded image after the first time
the email was opened. But now the images are gone after the first time I,
or another recipient, open the email.

Anyone else having the same trouble? Any thoughts on cause or fix for this?

BIll Hansen