On Sat, 9 Jun 2012, bodr...@mail.dm.unipi.it wrote:

Won't valgrind complain about an uninitialized read here?

It shouldn't! I read from the manual of Valgrind:
http://valgrind.org/docs/manual/mc-manual.html#mc-manual.uninitvals

"It is important to understand that your program can copy around junk
(uninitialised) data as much as it likes. [...] A complaint is issued only
when your program attempts to make use of uninitialised data in a way that
might affect your program's externally-visible behaviour."

So, if the value is correctly overwritten before using it, Valgrind should
not complain.

Cool, I did not know that, thanks!

I inserted the line for testing purposes, but it obviously is useless, it
can be removed!

No, no, looks good :-)

I think mpz_neg is a candidate for MPZ_NEWALLOC.

I think there are many, because the macro destroys the content only if a
memory enlargement is needed. E.g. mpz/tdiv_?_2exp.c are candidate for
_NEWALLOC, because no reallocation (i.e. no data loose) happen when source
and destination operands coincide.

Good. I wanted to make sure before adding some (not that that will happen anytime soon...).

--
Marc Glisse