On Thu, 24 Oct 2013, Niels Möller wrote:

I guess in theory, mpf could be slightly faster than mpfr since mpf
doesn't make any effort to have precisely defined rounding.

In that case I think it would be preferable to introduce a new "don't care" rounding mode in mpfr (or several depending on what we mean by that exactly).

But if it isn't faster in practice, and doesn't have any other advantages over mpfr, it would make sense to clearly deprecate all use of mpf.

+1 (the mpf2mpfr.h header may help people who want to switch if it still works)

--
Marc Glisse