On Tue, 21 Jan 2014, Niels Möller wrote:

No, the new limb interface can only do it the other way round. If you
want to use a buffer as mpz_t output, and access it with low-level
fucntions too, you have give the reponsibility for allocating it to
_mpz_realloc, and write the code to tolerate that any use of the buffer
as an mpz_t output might do an unexpected reallocation.

Up to now, we have always kind of promised that if there was enough margin in the output variables, there wouldn't be any unexpected reallocation.

When does this situation arise?

__GMPXX_TMPZ_D, for instance. But this is mostly a speed issue, we shouldn't reallocate when it is obviously unneeded. I guess I got confused between what is a guideline for us (don't reallocate) and what is promised in the doc (don't bother specifying when reallocation may happen: always), so we can drop this.

--
Marc Glisse