On Sun, 18 Jun 2023, Torbj?rn Granlund wrote:

> I added "Usage conditions" to <https://gmplib.org/devel/repo-usage>.
>
>   "These resources are open to the public. Yet, we expect the usage of
>    these resources to be used responsibly. Repeated clone command should be
>    avoided. Scripting of clone commands is strongly discouraged.
>
>    As a guideline, more than one clone command per day is considered
>    excessive. More than 10 is considered abuse, and will result in having
>    your IP address or entire network blocked."
>

> One would think that anybody who is beyond the hello_world.c skillz
> level would understand how to clone and then (infrequently) pull in any
> changes.  And would also understand that 1400 clones in a few hours is
> outrageous.
>
> Alas, apparently not.
>
> Case closed.  The firewall works awesomely.

Btw, the git access to gcc.gnu.org for example is partitioned into
anonymous and SSH authenticated ones where the anonymous accesses
are rate-limited (the git server just rejects connection attempts then).
This works to keep the actually working people accessing the repository
under such circumstances.

But of course even gcc.gnu.org still has  to sometimes apply these kind
of firewalling ... still the rate-limiting prevents any noticable impact
on usability.

Richard.

--
Richard Biener <rguent...@suse.de>
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Frankenstrasse 146, 90461 Nuernberg,