Found the culprit :-) but it does not solve my problem :-(

If either "Mesh --> set Order 2" or "Mesh -> Hight order tools" is used on a hexahedron8 it does not make a hexahedron20 but a hexahedron27 instead. Means a node is not only made on any edge center point but on any face center point too.

Neither unv nor inp export of GMSH support hexahedron27. A hexahedron20 can be exported to unv and inp and these files are fine.

This means back to the first question. Is it possible to make a hexahedron20 element out of an hexahedron8 in gmsh?

kind regards bernd

attached a hexa20.unv and hexa8.unv to test with.

Zitat von Bernd Hahnebach <g...@b75.ch>:

More informations in this regard ...

- open file b5__hexa8_coarse.msh
- in GMSH Tree click on Mesh --> Set order 2
- Menue Tools --> Options --> Mesh --> Visibility --> activate Nodes
- It seams we have got a second order mesh ?!

- Menue Tools --> Visibility --> Numeric --> click on hide elements (put in * before) --> click on show elements (put in 50 before)
- screen is attached --> it really seams to be a hexa20 mesh

- save as msh --> reload --> still a hexa20 mesh
- save as unv --> reload --> no hexa20 mesh, it is a  hexa8 mesh

Could it be hexa20 ist not supported in GMSH unv export ?? Could someone else give more informations in this regard?

GMSH 2.12.0

kind regards bernd

Zitat von Bernd Hahnebach <g...@b75.ch>:

Dear gmsh folks,

attache a coarse hexa first order mesh. I'd like to get an second orde hexa mesh out of this. I found the hight order tools can be used to create the appropriate nodes for a second order hexa mesh. But how do I create elements out of the nodes.

kind regards bernd