> On 24 Jun 2018, at 14:41, Zuheyr Alsalihi <alsal...@vki.ac.be> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I just needed to better explain my previous question:
>
> I need to make a triangular cake slice shaped 3d solid mesh using gmsh 3.0.6
> where the 2nd side is the rotational periodic surface of the first side
> surface of the mesh. The rotation angle is 2*Pi/N where N is the number of
> slices.
>
> To make it visually clear, if N=1, left periodic surface would be close on
> itself and the rotation angle would be 2*Pi.
>
> The geometry is imported through a step file and all I have to force is to
> make gmsh generate a rotationally periodic mesh on the periodic surfaces.
>
> I just cannot succeed to find the correct syntax to the statement
>
> //Periodic Surface { expression-list } = { expression-list } Rotate {
> expression-list } ;
>
> To tell gmsh that gthe mesh on the left periodic surface, master, is going to
> be rotated by an angle 2*Pi/N to make the mesh on the other slave periodic
> surface.

I've clarified the doc and added a rotation example in

https://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/blob/master/demos/boolean/periodic.geo
<https://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/blob/master/demos/boolean/periodic.geo>

Note that if your whole geometry is rotation-invariant, you should probably
just

- import the 2D slice

- extrude+rotate the 2D slice, together with the mesh.

(See e.g.
https://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/blob/master/demos/boolean/revolve2.geo
<https://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/blob/master/demos/boolean/revolve2.geo>)

This way you won't have to specify periodicity - the mesh will automatically be
periodic.

Christophe

> I must have some conceptual problem. Thank you for reading.
>
> Best regards.
>

> --
> Dr. Zuheyr Alsalihi
> Senior Research Engineer
> Turbomachinery and Propulsion and
> Aeronautics and Aerospace Departments
> von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics
> Waterloosesteenweg 72, B-1640 Sint-Genesius-Rode, Belgium
> Direct Line: +32 (0)2 359 98 65
> Fax: +32 (0)2 359 96 00
> E-mail: alsal...@vki.ac.be
> http://www.vki.ac.be