Le 21 oct. 2019 à 22:11, Niloufar
<faghihi.nilou...@gmail.com<mailto:faghihi.nilou...@gmail.com>> a écrit :

Hi,

I am a new user of Gmsh and I have a question regarding its licensing. I was
wondering whether the Gmsh API is also under the GPL license meaning that I can
not use the Gmsh API in a closed-source Python code. Is that right?

Question : If a programming language interpreter has a license that is
incompatible with the GPL, can I run GPL-covered programs on it?

Answer : When the interpreter just interprets a language, the answer is yes.
The interpreted program, to the interpreter, is just data; the GPL doesn't
restrict what tools you process the program with.

However, when the interpreter is extended to provide “bindings” to other
facilities (often, but not necessarily, libraries), the interpreted program is
effectively linked to the facilities it uses through these bindings. The JNI or
Java Native Interface is an example of such a facility; libraries that are
accessed in this way are linked dynamically with the Java programs that call
them.

So if these facilities are released under a GPL-incompatible license, the
situation is like linking in any other way with a GPL-incompatible library.

JF

Thank you,
Niloufar

Prof. Jean-Francois Remacle
Universite catholique de Louvain (UCL)
Ecole Polytechnique de Louvain (EPL) - Louvain School of Engineering
Institute of Mechanics, Materials and Civil Engineering (iMMC)
Center for Systems Engineering and Applied Mechanics (CESAME)
Tel : +32-10-472352 -- Mobile : +32-473-909930