Hi,

Erik: I'm sure about the flags. Not using the ones for SSE3, despite my processor having those. I'll just try to activate those as soon as I get a compiling procedure. By now, I even using the -- disable-x86-64-sse flag for configure, just to be sure. ;) Also, I tried the "CC_FOR_BUILD=gcc" environment, but despite it has gone throw the invsqrt compilation, I looked in and it was compiling everything with gcc, and nothing with icc. :(

You so do NOT want to do disable SSE in Gromacs. To get the extra 2% performance from Intel icc you just killed the assembly loops which will reduce your performance by roughly 50%.

The Gromacs SSE code is completely portable, and checks if the instructions are supported at runtime.

Yang: Yes, I'm using the intel compiler with emt64. I reinstalled the software step by step specifically to be sure about this point. And I understand that gromacs has an assembly core, and that this is basically the "heart" of the program speed. But, even thow, 5-10% means something, and every nano-second counts. Specially when you have a big delay to deal with, and that this 10% mean 0.25ns. ;) Even then, after I successfully compile it we will be able to say for sure how much if extra performance (if it yelds any) does the intel compiler gives on AMD64 machines. Moreover, as I said in a long time ago message: I want to use QM/MM with gromacs +cpmd, and at this point I really dislike the idea of compiling one thing with intel (cpmd) and the other with gcc (gromacs). Since I can't make cpmd work on gcc, I'm trying to make gromacs work on intel. ;)

We have already tried the intel compiler multiple times (both on ia32 and x86-64 platforms), and it gets you roughly 2% extra performance in Gromacs.

A really nice thing with icc is that the object format is completely gcc-compatible, so there shouldn't be any problems mixing.

Cheers,

Erik