I am trying to do a simple NaCl solvation and MD run using GROMACS. I have 4 atoms in my (.xyz) file for the 2 Na's and 2 Cl's. I convert the (.xyz) to (.pdb) using babel. Afterwards, I try to generate the topology file using pdb2gmx program and it generates an error. I am using the 43a1 force field.

FATAL ERROR: Residue "LIG" not found in residue topology database.

What does LIG represent in your pdb file ??

The best way would probably be to first construct a
box of water (editconf, genbox) and then put ions inside,
manually by removing water molecules or using genion !

XAvier