Jian Zou wrote:
Hi David,

I read your JPCB paper (JPCB-110-4393) and it says that the geometric criteria with DA distance and DHA angle is employed. Therefore I'm a little confused which angle is indeed used to determine the Hbond, HDA or DHA?

Oops, that is wrong in the paper! It is HDA in the program.

In the literature, e.g. the two papers by Starr et al. and the paper by Xu & Berne it is said that the O-H ... O should be less then thirty degrees, which is also what I wrote in my paper (DHA) however that does not make sense, because that angle is more than 90 degrees in a HB. Sorry about the confusion, but I'm sure that everyone either uses HDA or HAD. We can reproduce exactly the numbers of Xu & Berne with g_hbond for TIP4P and SPC/E.

Regards,

Jian Zou

David van der Spoel wrote:

Dear David,
ok. Now I understand HDA criterion. Can you give me a reference
where I can find the differences between HDA criteria and OHD criteria
and why one of them is preferable than the other?

We implemented this in order to reproduce a number of publications. It
is difficult to say that one is to be preferred over the other.  If
something an energy-based criterium could be preferred, however
classical mechanics is not good enough to quantitatively describe the
details of hydrogen bonding anyway. Some interesting refs are:

@Article{Starr2000a,
   author =   {F. W. Starr and J. K. Nielsen and H. Eugene Stanley},
   title =   {Hydrogen-bond dynamics for the extended simple point
charge model of water},
   journal =   {Phys. Rev. E},
   year =   2000,
   volume =  62,
   pages =  {579-587}
}

@Article{Modig2003a,
   author =   {K. Modig and B. G. Pfrommer and B. Halle},
   title =   {Temperature-dependent hydrogen bond geometry in liquid water},
   journal =   {Phys. Rev. Lett.},
   year =   2003,
   volume =  90,
   pages =  075502
}

@Article{Spoel2006b,
   author =   {D. van der Spoel and P. J. van Maaren and P. Larsson and
N. Timneanu},
   title =   {Thermodynamics of hydrogen bonding in hydrophilic and
hydrophobic media},
   journal =      {J. Phys. Chem. B},
   year =         2006,
   volume =       110,