Chenyue Xing wrote:
Hi David,
Thanks for your reply. I actually found the time difference (25 min different) between my working machine and the other machine where files are. I'll contact my sysadmin. But as I successfully installed gromacs-3.1 under the same condition, does that mean this problem only occurs on version3.3?
no, you probably don't what the time difference was before.

you can try to run first configure, then wait 30 minutes and then run make.

Thank you again!
Chenyue

On 8/13/06, *David van der Spoel* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    Chenyue Xing wrote:
     > Hi all,
     >
     > I'm trying to install gromacs-3.3.1. I first installed fftw-3.0.1
    with
     > --enable-float and setenv CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS to my fftw
    include/ and
     > lib/ directories. ./configure successfully passed all checking (seems
     > so) but it stopped at ' config.status: executing depfiles
    commands' and
     > didn't print 'Gromacs is ready to compile. Binary and library
    files are
     > ...' such stuff. If I try to 'make', it'll go into some infinite
    loop:
     > keep printing sentences from
     > ' /bin/sh ./config.status
     > config.status: creating Makefile'
     >  ...to ...
     > 'config.status: src/config.h is unchanged
     > config.status: executing depfiles commands'
     >
     > No matter it's just 'make' or 'make install' or 'make distclean', it
     > only prints the loop of the above 'config.status'.

    could it be that the machine you are working on has a different
    time/date than the machine where the files are?
    (e.g. when using NFS)

> [...]
     > appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
     > checking for ld used by g++... /usr/bin/ld
     > checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
     > checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared
     > libraries... yes
     > checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC
     > checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
     > checking if g++ static flag -static works... yes
     > checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
     > checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared
     > libraries... yes
     > checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
     > appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
     > checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
     > checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64
     > checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no
     > checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE value needed for large files... 1
     > checking for fseeko... yes
     > checking for sqrt in -lm... yes
     > checking for fftw3.h.. . yes
     > checking for main in -lfftw3f... yes
     > checking rpc/rpc.h usability... yes
     > checking rpc/rpc.h presence... yes
     > checking for rpc/rpc.h... yes
     > checking for rpc/xdr.h... yes
     > checking for xdr_float in -lnsl... yes
     > checking for working memcmp... yes
     > checking return type of signal handlers... void
     > checking for vprintf... yes
     > checking for _doprnt... no
     > checking if malloc debugging is wanted... no
     > checking for strcasecmp... yes
     > checking for strdup... yes
     > checking for bool... no
     > checking for X... no
     > checking for Motif... libraries (none), headers (none)
     > checking for libXext and libXp... no
     > checking for only libXext... no
     > checking limits.h usability... yes
     > checking limits.h presence... yes
     > checking for limits.h... yes
     > checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
     > checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
     > checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
     > checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
     > checking for size_t... yes
     > checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... time.h
     > checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... yes
     > checking for inline... inline
     > checking whether your compiler can handle assembly files (*.s)... yes
     > checking whether as fully supports ia32 SSE... yes
     > checking whether as fully supports ia32 3DNow! instructions... yes
     > checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... (cached) no
     > checking if the compiler supports gcc inline assembly... yes
     > checking if the compiler supports MSVC inline assembly... no
     > configure: creating ./config.status
     > config.status: creating Makefile
     > config.status: creating src/Makefile
     > config.status: creating src/gmxlib/Makefile
     > config.status: creating src/gmxlib/gmx_blas/Makefile
     > config.status : creating src/gmxlib/gmx_lapack/Makefile
     > config.status: creating src/gmxlib/nonbonded/Makefile
     > config.status: creating src/gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_kernel/Makefile
    src/gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_kernel_ia32_3dnow/Makefile
     > config.status: creating
    src/gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_kernel_ia32_sse/Makefile
     > config.status: creating
    src/gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_kernel_ia32_sse2/Makefile
     > config.status: creating
    src/gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_kernel_x86_64_sse/Makefile
     > config.status: creating
    src/gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_kernel_x86_64_sse2/Makefile
     > config.status: creating
    src/gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_kernel_ppc_altivec/Makefile
     > config.status: creating
    src/gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_kernel_ia64_single/Makefile
     > config.status: creating
    src/gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_kernel_ia64_double/Makefile
     > config.status: creating include/Makefile
     > config.status: creating include/types/Makefile
     > config.status: creating src/mdlib/Makefile
     > config.status: creating src/kernel/Makefile
     > config.status: creating src/tools/Makefile
     > config.status: creating src/ngmx/Makefile
     > config.status: creating src/contrib/Makefile
     > config.status : creating scripts/Makefile
     > config.status: creating admin/Makefile
     > config.status: creating share/Makefile
     > config.status: creating share/tutor/Makefile
     > config.status: creating share/tutor/gmxdemo/Makefile
     > config.status: creating share/tutor/nmr1/Makefile
     > config.status: creating share/tutor/nmr2/Makefile
     > config.status: creating share/tutor/water/Makefile
     > config.status: creating share/tutor/mixed/Makefile
     > config.status: creating share/tutor/methanol/Makefile
     > config.status: creating share/tutor/speptide/Makefile
     > config.status: creating share/template/Makefile
     > config.status: creating share/top/Makefile
     > config.status: creating share/html/Makefile
     > config.status: creating share/html/images/Makefile
     > config.status: creating share/html/online/Makefile
     > config.status: creating man/Makefile
     > config.status: creating man/man1/Makefile
     > config.status: creating src/config.h
     > config.status: executing depfiles commands
     >
     > Thanks a lot!!!

     > www interface or send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

    David.
    Husargatan 3, Box 596,          75124 Uppsala, Sweden
    phone:  46 18 471 4205          fax: 46 18 511 755
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   http://folding.bmc.uu.se
    www interface or send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
    <http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php>

David.