I believed the case that single machine with multiple processors (like Dell
server with 2 due core CPUs) should be very popular for end user.  Because
not everyone can offer a 32 nodes cluster or has access to supercomputer
center.

Could we have detail tutorial for "run gromacs on single machine with
multiple processors" Thanks.

Best,

Ocean

On 12/21/06, David van der Spoel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yang Ye wrote:
> normally we use following commands when compiling gromacs
> ./configure ... --program_suffix=_mpi --enable-mpi ...
>
> So we will have mdrun_mpi in the end.
>
> The usage of mdrun_mpi is the same as mdrun but -np, -replex and other
> switches are activated.
>
> That statement on the user manual is to clarify that you don't need
> MPI-enabled mdrun to run on a multiprocessor machine. But if you want to
> tap the capability of the multiprocessor machine, you need to use MPI
> and use mdrun_mpi

As Erik stated, different MPI implementations have different standards
for starting jobs. The comment in the manual is probably a remnant from
an old SGI MPI implementation. I will remove the comment.

Otherwise, a little trial and error and man XXX usually does the job...

--
David.