Thank you for looking over the input and for suggestions Mark. Unfortunately, a comparison of the topologies with diff revealed no inconsistencies. GROMACS can correctly recognize the presence of the significant repulsion (e+10) between atoms 1 and 5 when the atoms from both triatomic molecules are incorporated into a single molecule.

I have found one clue in that the missing repulsion in the bimolecular system, can be returned by increasing rlist >= 0.77 nm in grompp.mdp. This is unsatisfying, as the distance between atoms 1 and 5 is much shorter, 0.057 nm. As these coordinates were taken from a calculation of membrane system just before a crash, I believe it is this lack of intermolecular nonbonding repulsion responsible for allowing atoms 1 and 5 to get this close in the first place.

Again, any insights are most welcome.

Steve

Mark Abraham wrote:
Steve Fiedler wrote:
Dear all,

I have encountered an unexpected behavior in which nonbonding values for close intermolecular pairs do not appear to be always present. I have reduced this problem to the configurational energy of two triatomic isomers.

Everything looks OK to me - but you should check the results of diff for your two topologies for unexpected differences. Does this happen when you go from a single triatomic molecule to the diatomic?