From: "Tsjerk Wassenaar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Discussion list for GROMACS users" <gmx-users@gromacs.org>
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Very large fluctuations in dg/dl
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 06:39:50 +0200

Hi Berk,

Just a question relating to your reply (should be a new thread
maybe...). The Gromos force fields were parameterized (for use) with
cutoff/RF. PME is of course better for energy conservation, but the
inclusion of the interactions beyond the cut-off may give rise to
deviant behaviour from the force field. Could you enlighten me on this
issue?

Thanks,

Tsjerk

Luckily it does not.
And PME is not only better for energy conservation, but also captures
long-range interaction, which for instance leads to more stable proteins.
I have compared solvation free energies for G53A6 with reaction-field
and PME and found no differences:

B. Hess and N. van der Vegt
Hydration Thermodynamic Properties of Amino Acid Analogues: A Systematic Comparison of Biomolecular Force Fields and Water Models
J. Phys. Chem. B 110, 17616 (2006)
http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp0641029

Berk.

On 5/7/07, Berk Hess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>From: Patrick Fuchs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: gmx-users@gromacs.org
>Subject: [gmx-users] Very large fluctuations in dg/dl
>Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 16:41:26 +0200
>
>Hi Gromacs users,
>I have a few questions related to solvation free energy calculation via
>thermodynamic integration.
>I'm trying to reproduce some literature data (on e.g. methane,
>methanol...) using the GROMOS G53a6 force field. I followed the tutorial
>of David Mobley (thanks to him BTW), but I used the standard non bonded
>options of the G53a6 force field (instead of OPLS). For each lambda
>value I do a minimization, a 10 ps NVT followed by a 20 ps NPT
>equilibration, and a 1 ns NVT production using the sd integrator. I used
>21 lambda values (0.00, 0.05...1.00).
>Here's my topology file:
>----------------begining of methane.top------------------------
>; topology for a methane molecule
>
>; include GROMOS53a6 force field
>#include "ffG53a6.itp"
>
>;;;;;;; begin methane definition ;;;;;;;
>[ moleculetype ]
>; Name           nrexcl
>METH             3
>
>[ atoms ]
>;nr type resnr residue atom cgnr charge mass    typeB chargeB massB
>  1  CH4  1     METH    C1   0    0.0000 16.0430 DUM   0.0000  16.04300
>;;;;;; end methane definition ;;;;;;;;
>
>; include water topology
>#ifdef FLEX_SPC
>#include "flexspc.itp"
>#else
>#include "spc.itp"
>#endif
>
>[ system ]
>; name
>1 methane molecule in water
>
>[ molecules ]
>; name  number
>METH    1
>SOL     893
>-----------------end of methane.top------------------------
>
>And here is my mdp file for lambda=0:
>---------------begining of prod.mdp---------------------
>title               = production NVT methane/water
>cpp                 = /lib/cpp
>; OPTIONS FOR BOND CONSTRAINTS
>constraints         = all-bonds
>; RUN CONTROL PARAMETERS
>integrator          = sd
>tinit               = 0
>dt                  = 0.002
>nsteps              = 500000 ; 1000 ps
>; NUMBER OF STEPS FOR CENTER OF MASS MOTION REMOVAL
>nstcomm             = 100
>; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS
>nstxout                  = 500
>nstvout                  = 500
>nstfout                  = 0
>nstlog                   = 500
>nstenergy                = 100
>nstxtcout                = 5000
>xtc-precision            = 1000
>; NON BONDED STUFF
>ns_type             =  grid
>nstlist                = 5
>rlist                  = 0.8
>coulombtype            = generalized-reaction-field
> [...]

Large fluctuations are very common, depending on your system
and how your choose your intermediate states.

But sampling would improve a lot if you use a larger tau_t, for instance
1 ps, this will also solve your large vcm warnings.
Note that with reaction-field your will have bad energy conservation.
With a tau_t of 1 ps your temperature might go up somewhat.
Using PME is always better.

Berk.

www interface or send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.
Junior UD (post-doc)
Biomolecular NMR, Bijvoet Center
Utrecht University
Padualaan 8
3584 CH Utrecht
The Netherlands
P: +31-30-2539931
F: +31-30-2537623
www interface or send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]