Hi,

I agree with you about the GbE sharing between 4 cores degardes the
performance. Fortunately, every Cluster node has two GbE ports. I
want to know, can I configure lamd in such a manner that every processor
on every node (with two cores) uses one of these ports for its
communication purposes? And if this is possible, could you please give me
some hints or guidance to start this configuration on the cluster?
And finally, can you expect any scalability improvements by taking this
approach?

Built-in network cards are usually of lower quality, so there's probably only a single processor controlling both ports, and since the card probably only has a single driver requests might even be serialized.

If you have lots of available ports on your gigabit switches and both switches+cards support "port trunking" you could try to connect two cables to each node and get a virtual 2Gb bandwidth connection. For more advanced stuff you'll have to consult the lam-mpi mailing list, although I'd be (quite pleasantly) surprised if it's possible to tweak gigabit performance a lot!

Cheers,

Erik