From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: gmx-users@gromacs.org
Subject: [gmx-users] RF excl and protein/water potential energies
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:09:10 +0200 (MEST)

Dear community,

I am trying to separate potential energy contributions coming from the protein
and from water in my solvated protein system.

Dose anybody know if the term "RF excl" can be computed / written separately for protein / water atoms? I would be interested in the "RF excl" contributions coming from the protein only.. Are there RF-excl corrections for intra-molecular water atom interactions also, or are they limited to the "1-4" interactions of the protein? In the first case, I guess they would not be counted anyway, with
my rigid SPC water?

Thanks for any info!

Pascal

With reaction-field any term can not be assigned to any pair of atoms/groups, since reaction-field electrostatics includes a term for the reaction of the part of the system outside the cut-off. This is especially apparent in the exclusion
term which even applies to the "interaction of a single charge with itself"
(see the manual), which is of course the interaction of a single charge with
the dielectric medium outside the cut-off.

It is usually anyhow meaningless to split energy contributions, since theprotein will influence the water conformation and vice versa and therefore the contributions
are never independent.

Berk.