You can do it by two different methods.

1) You can increase the default VdW radii of the lipid atoms in  /usr/local/
gromacs/share/top/vdwradii.dat file (path might be different from your system), say 0.5 for carbon, so genbox will not add the water inside the bilayer.

Cleaner method is to:
cp /usr/local/gromacs/share/top/vdwradii.dat ./vdwradii.dat
and then modify the local file.

but you will find a gap between lipid head groups and water molecules which can be resolved after some ps dynamics. (I personally have not yet got the success ;-) )

Do I understand you to say that for you the gap does not completely dissapear in <500ps? Did you use semiisotropic coupling? Otherwise it will be more difficult for this space to fill in. It should fill in really quite quickly (<<500ps)... has for me.

2) You can write a small script which can delete these water molecules, I wrote a script for the same if you need contact me offline.

I have previously posted such a script. It takes 10-30 minutes to run since it's not sophisticated, but it does work very well.

http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2006-May/021526.html

I forgot to mention that in the previously referenced script there is an assumption that you use a 3 atom water molecule. If you use tip4p then you would want

  if [ "$count" = 3 ]; then
    count=0
  fi

to be changed to: