ha salem wrote:
dear carsten
I have 110000 particels ,cores of cpu has 90 % usage on one machine but when I run the same calculation on 2 machine the cpu usage of cores reduce to 20% my lan is 100 Mbps
do you mean with  LAN Gigabit the cpu uasage increase to 90%?
From the benchmarks I have seen, I can say that you cannot expect any
speedup if your computers are only connected with 100 Mpbs. You will
need at least 1000 Mbps, or better Infiniband/Myrinet.

Carsten

thank you

--- On *Sun, 6/15/08, Carsten Kutzner /<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:

    From: Carsten Kutzner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Subject: Re: [gmx-users] mpirun problem
    To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Discussion list for GROMACS users"
    <gmx-users@gromacs.org>
    Date: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 7:30 PM

    On 15.06.2008, at 20:19, ha salem wrote:

    dear users
         I have encouneterd a problem with mpirun I have 2 pc (every
    pc has 1 intel
         quad core cpu) ,when I run mdrun on 1 machine with  "-np 4 "
    option the calculation
         run on 4 cores and goes faster ,system monitor show all 4
    cores of this cpu are working
         every core has 90% cpu usage,and every thing is ok
         but now I connect 2 computer to LAN and I executed lamboot -v
    lamhosts
         then I run mpirun -np 8 but I see the all 8 cores of 2
    machines are workinng with
         20 % 10% cpu usage and speed is lower than 4 cores of 1 cpu!!!!

    This could have a lot of reasons. What kind of interconnect do you
use? If it is gigabit Ethernet, you will need at least 80000 particles to be faster on two 4 CPU machines compared to one. With only fast ethernet, do not expect any scaling at all on
    today's fast processors.

Try grompp -shuffle -sort, this will help increase the scaling a bit.
    Regards,
      Carsten

         can you help me ?my molecule is part of hsa and is macro molecule
       these are my commands
    usr/local/share/gromacs_331/bin/grompp -np 8 -f prmd.mdp -c
    finalprsp.gro -r finalprsp.gro -p n.top
    mpirun -np 8 /usr/local/share/gromacs_331/bin/mdrun -np 8 -s
    prmd.tpr -o prmd.trr -c finalprmd.gro -g prmd.log -e prmd.edr -n n.ndx

    posting!
    www interface or send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]