Erik Lindahl wrote:

On Oct 9, 2008, at 5:24 AM, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

To follow up just a bit more - it appears that this problem is isolated to the PowerPC architecture. I can compile and install RC4 on my own laptop (a recent Intel Mac) with no problems.

I think it's the shared libraries in combination with MPI. We've had those issues before on AIX, where it turned out to be completely impossible to get shared libraries working with the vendor-provided MPI version.

Actually, if the --disable-shared option solves it, could you see what happens if you try to compile without MPI, but with shared libraries?

OK.  Installing without MPI with shared libraries is fine.

Installing with MPI and --disable-shared successfully gives me an MPI-enabled
mdrun.

I should also note that David's advice to use the configure script from RC3 works, without explicitly specifying --disable-shared; maybe that will give you some useful information.

-Justin

If that works, we might take a middle road and just disable shared libraries when MPI is used. In all other cases it should work great, and it reduces the installation size by an order of magnitude (and there's always an option to disable it, just in case).

Cheers,

Erik

Graduate Research Assistant