Hello,

I'm trying to do a benchmark with Gromacs 4 on our cluster, but I don't completely understand the results I obtain. The system I used is a 128 DOPC bilayer hydrated by ~18800 SPC for a total of ~70200 atoms. The size of the system is 9.6x9.6x10.1 nm^3. I'm using the following parameters:

       * nstlist = 10
       * rlist = 1
       * Coulombtype = PME
       * rcoulomb = 1
       * fourier spacing = 0.12
       * vdwtype = Cutoff
       * rvdw = 1

The cluster itself has got 2 procs/node connected by Ethernet 100 MB/s. I'm using mpiexec to run Gromacs. When I use -npme 2 -ddorder interleave, I get:
ncore    Perf (ns/day)    PME (%)

   1    0,00    0
   2    0,00    0
   3    0,00    0
   4    1,35    28
   5    1,84    31
   6    2,08    27
   8    2,09    21
   10    2,25    17
   12    2,02    15
   14    2,20    13
   16    2,04    11
   18    2,18    10
   20    2,29    9

So, above 6-8 cores, the PP nodes are spending too much time waiting for the PME nodes and the perf forms a plateau. When I use -npme 0, I get:

    ncore    Perf (ns/day)    PME (%)
   1    0,43    33
   2    0,92    34
   3    1,34    35
   4    1,69    36
   5    2,17    33
   6    2,56    32
   8    3,24    33
   10    3,84    34
   12    4,34    35
   14    5,05    32
   16    5,47    34
   18    5,54    37
   20    6,13    36

I obtain much better performances when there is no PME nodes, while I was expecting the opposite. Does someone have an explanation for that? Does that means domain decomposition is useless below a certain real space cutoff? I'm quite confused.

Thanks,
Nicolas

begin:vcard
fn:Nicolas Sapay
n:Sapay;Nicolas
org:University of Calgary;Biological department
adr:;;2500 University drive NW;Calgary;AB;T2N 1N4;Canada
email;internet:nsa...@ucalgary.ca
title:Post-doctoral fellow
tel;work:403-220-6869
x-mozilla-html:TRUE