Mark Abraham wrote:
Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

Hansjoerg Jerabek wrote:
Dear Mark!

At first: thanks for your reply.

The log file has been witten correctly, and gmxcheck gives me the following warning:

   Checking file ketamine.t2.trr
   trn version: GMX_trn_file (double precision)
   Reading frame       0 time 43500.000     # Atoms  25400
Reading frame 4 time 43520.000 Warning at frame 4: coordinates for atom 21839 are large (3.04738e+35) Warning at frame 4: coordinates for atom 21839 are large (2.16053e+185)

   Program gmxcheck_d, VERSION 4.0.3
   Source code file: trnio.c, line: 66

   File input/output error:
   Can not determine precision of trn file

Is it somehow possible to manually remove the corrupt frame from the binary trr-file? I'm asking this because I can't afford to re-run the simulation, since it would take about 3 weeks.

trjconv    -b 0 -e 3

You will have to sacrifice everything after frame 3 then (since frame 4 is corrupted). Judging by the timeframe of the simulation, that is probably a substantial amount of data. Perhaps you can restart from a checkpoint file, depending on how often those were written, to collect the rest of your data.

... and next time, plan to save yourself data suitable for a restart every few compute hours or so!

There's some general information here, but the detail was written for GROMACS 3.3.x. http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Doing_Restarts

Mark

... thank you for your advices. since it was impossible to edit the trr-file with any of the gromacs application, I used a hex-editor and a small c++-application to cut the broken frames out.

best regards
hansjoerg