I am interested in potentially using gromacs to do some calculations on an C-alpha based elastic network model of the protein that I'm working on. I'm curious if other users have done similar types of calculations, and if so, what protocol you used. I realize that there are a lot of webservers out there that do this calculation, but I want to be able to use a heterogeneous network of spring constants, and have a bit more flexibility than many of them allow. Gromacs seemed like it might be a good option for tackling this problem since it can calculate the Hessian and generate the normal modes from an arbitrary force field. it also had a bunch of nice analyses tools available as well.

Right now I am looking for suggestions on how to explicitly turn off all non-bonded interactions (the only FF terms are bonded terms). Is the best option to use energygrp excl? Any other useful suggestions for using gromacs for this purpose would also be appreciated.

Josh