On May 9, 2009, at 12:50 PM, David van der Spoel wrote:

David van der Spoel wrote:
XAvier Periole wrote:

Dears,

I am asking for the angular removal of the COM motion of a protein assembly
in gromacs-4.0.4.

- grompp gives a strange warning:

checking input for internal consistency...

WARNING 3 [file md.mdp, line unknown]:
Removing the rotation around the center of mass in a periodic system
 (this is not a problem when you have only one molecule).

In addition, this is not a strange warning, because this may introduce artifacts. In particular when you have water as well, you are basically violating Newton's second law (Fji = -Fij). One could argue that grompp should look into whether you have one molecule or not.
Agreed. But the phenomenon I observe is not affected (it happens with both setups with identical characteristics) and the trick saves a lot of computer time (amount of solvent)!

- the lines are:

nstcomm                  = 1
comm-mode                = angular
comm-grps                = protein

Then the nstcomm and comm-mode appear to be correctly defined in the tpr file generated. However during the run the angular removal of the COM is clearly not
done. The protein assembly is rotating ...

Any reason for this?

Is this in parallel with DD?
XAvier.

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:  +46184714205. Fax: +4618511755.
sp...@xray.bmc.uu.se    sp...@gromacs.org   http://folding.bmc.uu.se