Peyman Yamin wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm coming back to Gromacs. Before installing gromacs on our new SC I want to do it on my desktop running SuSe 11.1 on an Intel Core2 Quad Q6700 @2.66GHz CPU-arch.

Gromacs version 4.0.3
gmxtests version 4.0.4 1. Are these compatible? I could find neither a testset for 4.0.3 nor a version 4.0.4 of gromacs!

Sort of. There are some problems with Buckingham LJ in 4.0.x such that quite a few tests seem to fail. 4.0.5 exists but there seems not to have been a formal announcement yet. See http://www.gromacs.org/content/view/79/98/ or the front page

gmxtest.pl also needs updating to work "out of the box". We've seen so many confused-new-user posts that were I in charge, I'd be tempted to take it down until it's been updated and proven to work correctly with the most recent release. :-) A test set is a good idea, but not if it doesn't succeed at its objective in the hands of a newbie!

2. The parallel installation (with --enable-mpi) leads to failure in all tests. Can I run MPI-parallel runs with lam on my cpu at all? lamboot is scared to be run by root and tests get some permission denied message for grompp when run otherwise. How is the whole OpenMP(I) story going on?

You need a functional MPI installation. Pretty much any flavour should interact fine with GROMACS 4.x, I understand.

3. normal installation (without --enable-mpi) leads to failure in (complex only) "field", "tip4p" and "water". concerning pdb2gmx:

Error not all 45 pdb2gmx tests have been done successfully
Only 44 energies in the log file

There's a known bug going on here that was fixed sometime since 4.0.3

however, -np 2 or 4 leads to a faster finishing with everything t he same other than "only 0 energies in the log file"!

These flags will have no effect on a non-MPI GROMACS.

I'm wondering how does it all go parallel with no mpi?

It doesn't.