My integrator is "steep", which should perform EM.
This is my mdp file:

title               =  4AKE_PREMsteep
cpp                 =  /usr/bin/cpp
define              =  -DFLEXIBLE
constraints         =  all-bonds
integrator          =  steep
nsteps              =  500
nstlist             =  10
ns_type             =  grid
rlist               =  1.0
rcoulomb            =  1.0
rvdw                =  1.0
DispCorr = no
;
;       Energy minimizing stuff
;
emtol               =  1.0
emstep              =  0.01

I learnt from the tutorials (s-peptide) that in order to do a position restrained MD the I have to set the constraints (all-bonds in this case).
Is that incorrect? Is it valid for EM as well?

Thank you for your advice,
Stefano.

Mark Abraham ha scritto:
Stefano Meliga wrote:
Hi again,

I've tryed to perform the same preprocessing and EM steps without distance constraints and the situation improves a lot. I get no warnings in the steepest descent EM and only one molecule cannot be set in the conjugate gradient EM.
Can you see the reason?

Yes. You're not doing EM. "t = 0.011 ps:" is a big clue. Choose your integrator in your .mdp file better.

Also, as Justin suggests, please be careful with the constraint/restraint terminology.

Mark

Thanks,
Stefano.

Stefano Meliga ha scritto:
Hi everybody,

I neutralized my system with the commands:

$grxdir/grompp -f dummy.mdp -po dummyout.mdp -c 4AKEallHsol.gro -p
4AKEallH.top -pp 4AKEallHsol_pre.top -o 4AKEallHsol.tpr
$grxdir/genion -s 4AKEallHsol.tpr -o 4AKEallHion.gro -p
4AKEallHsol_pre.top -np 4 -pname NA+ -g -pot 4AKEallHion.pdb -nname
CL-
(adding the atoms to the solution SOL)

I renamed the files to keep track of the different topology files:

mv 4AKEallHsol_pre.top 4AKEallHion.top
mv "#4AKEallHsol_pre.top.1#" 4AKEallHsol_pre.top

I run an all-bonds position restraint steepest descent EM:

$grxdir/grompp -f 4AKEprePREMsteep.mdp -po 4AKE_PREMsteep.mdp -c
4AKEallHion.gro -p 4AKEallHion.top -pp 4AKEallHion_out.top -o
4AKEallHion.tpr
$grxdir/mdrun -s 4AKEallHion.tpr -o 4AKE_PREMsteep.trr -c
4AKE_PREMsteep.gro -e 4AKE_PREMsteep.edr -g 4AKE_PREMsteep.log -v

mdrun exits successfully but displays the warning:
t = 0.011 ps: Water molecule starting at atom 17223 can not be settled.
Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep.

In the gro file atom 17223 is an oxigen of the solution

Going further with my simulation i run a all-bonds position restrained
conjugate gradient EM:

$grxdir/grompp -f 4AKEprePREMcg.mdp -po 4AKE_PREMcg.mdp -c
4AKE_PREMsteep.gro -p 4AKEallHion_out.top -pp 4AKEallH_PREMsteep.top
-o 4AKEallH_PREMsteep.tpr
$grxdir/mdrun -s 4AKEallH_PREMsteep.tpr -o 4AKE_PREMcg.trr -c
4AKE_PREMcg.gro -e 4AKE_PREMcg.edr -g 4AKE_PREMcg.log -v

but get the fatal error:

Source code file: constr.c, line: 136

Fatal error:
Too many LINCS warnings (2200)

And some of this warnings are again solution's molecules that cannot be set.
May the problem be related to the ions added to neutralise the system?
mdrun was not showing this problem with the non-neutral system in
input.

Thanks a lot,
Stefano