Jussi Lehtola skrev:
On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 13:45 +0200, Berk Hess wrote:
Hi,

Nothing needs to be double precision.

Why do you want mdrun in double precision?
The only common reason for this is normal mode analysis,
in which case you need all the tools involved in double precision.
For normal MD simulation there is nearly never a need for
double precision.

If you want to run accurate NVE simulations, double precision is
important. If you use thermostats, then there is no need for double
precision.

I can testify to that. Without double precision I've had problems with drifting total energy when doing non-periodic NVE.

/Erik
Also, I have found that double precision can be nice for energy
minimization since it can handle more pathological cases than single
precision. Still, usually it doesn't matter much whether the starting
point was prepared in single or double precision.

Erik Marklund, PhD student
Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics,
Husargatan 3, Box 596,    75124 Uppsala, Sweden
phone:    +46 18 471 4537        fax: +46 18 511 755
er...@xray.bmc.uu.se    http://xray.bmc.uu.se/molbiophys