Sorry I habe to extend this:

Can you please explain me or provide am reference explain why I am not
able to use a SPME/PME/PPPM/EwaldSum method for any kind of partial
charges living in an environment with periodic boundary conditions ?

When I understood the idea of the reaction field correctly, I treat the
electrostatic forces with a cutoff and relative dielectric permittivity

... and assuming a homongenous medium beyond the boundaries.
With the mentionend Ewald methods I should be able to reproduce
exactly the same circumstances like in a reaction-field setup. So at the
moment I can imagine just one critical point, when using SPME/PME/PPPM
or an Ewald sum is the big set of parameters that have to adapted in

Flo

--
Florian Dommert
Dipl.-Phys.