darre...@ece.ubc.ca wrote:
Hi Justin,
Thanks for the explanation of the difference between EM & equilibration.
Since in my model, I: (i) only have the graphene sheet and ammonia
molecules spaced reasonably far apart from each other (1332 NH3
molecules in a 38x38x38 box) and from the graphene sheet (distance
between the closest ammonia molecule and the graphene sheet is greater
than the molecular diameter of ammonia - maybe this is too close and
could be causing my problem?); (ii) freeze the graphene sheet; I am
thinking equilibration is not required in my model. Please let me know
if you think I still need to perform equilibration.

Yes, the EM did converge satisfactorily. Here is the output from EM:
Steepest Descents converged to Fmax < 250 in 61 steps
Potential Energy  =  4.6094102e+04
Maximum force     =  2.4543298e+02 on atom 1
Norm of force     =  7.5803179e+03

Is this a reasonable value for FMax?

Your Fmax looks fine. Why is it necessary to freeze the graphene sheet? Why not use position restraints (to rule out funky behavior of being frozen)?

Did you ever obtain a trajectory with enough frames that you could watch? What happened?

-Justin

Thanks again for your help.

Darrell