Hi all,

I have a question about the setting of improper dihedrals. I have a pyrimidinone I want to use with the G53a5 force field, but I can't get the ring to stay flat.

First question is: do all atoms in the planar ring need to have 3 subsituents? I.e., should an explicit atom of type HC be present on the CHs within the ring, or could they be united atoms (e.g., non-bonded type CR1)?

Second question: how many parameters are required to keep the ring planar? I initially though that each bond within the ring should have an improper torsion defined, with the bonds in the J-K atoms in the torsion. In addition, every center bound to 3 other atoms (e.g., C=O, N-H) needs an additional term, with the central atom as atom I. If all atoms have 3 substituents, this would mean 6 bonds + 6 centers = 12 improper torsions. Is that the minimum number of improper torsions required to keep a 6-membered ring flat? What about a 6-membered ring represented with united atoms?

Thanks for reading so far (and many thanks for replying!).

Regards,

Pablo

--
Pablo Englebienne, PhD
Institute of Complex Molecular Systems (ICMS)