Hi Justin,

Thanks for the new suggestion.

However, wouldn't this again involve the sorting of my .pdb file?

I have modified the specbond.dat

3
MSI   SI    4     MO    O     2     0.16  MCM   MCM
MSI   SI    4     MOH   OH    2     0.16  MCM   MCM
MOH   OH    2     MH    H     1     0.101 MCM   MCM

BUT the specbond.dat is called after the duplicate atoms are deleted:

Now there are 4 atoms. Deleted 4280 duplicates.
Opening library file /home/jwillia4/gromacs-4.0.5/code/share/gromacs/top/specbond.dat
3 out of 3 lines of specbond.dat converted succesfully

So at present my pdb file is shortened down to 4 atoms before specdat even gets a chance to work on it.

The only solution I can see to this is to rename each and every atom in my .pdb file with a different residue number and name. This then means that I would need a huge specbond.dat where the bonds were defined for each of these residues-this would essentially mean defining thousands of bonds as I wouldn't be able to define the bonds by atom type but by their individual reside number. Is this correct or am I missing something?

What I really would like is to stop the program deleting these duplicate atoms-then I could use pdb2gmx to generate the entire topology file. Do you know a way of doing this (and here I am really hoping that I don't have to mess with the source code :) )?

Thanks -I am learning a lot from your advice

Jenny

Quoting "Justin A. Lemkul" <jalem...@vt.edu>:

Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

I can see how this rapidly becomes difficult :) I don't believe that pdb2gmx can handle such "multi-directional" bonding, since the residues that are connected are not necessarily numerically sequential.

I should amend this statement (typing quicker than the brain can keep
up!) - It is not that pdb2gmx cannot handle multi-directional bonding,
it is moreso that I don't think it cannot be done using the +/-
convention of the .rtp files.

Using specbond.dat, as I suggested before, should be a viable alternative.

Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
interface or send it to gmx-users-requ...@gromacs.org.

Dr. Jennifer Williams
Institute for Materials and Processes
School of Engineering
University of Edinburgh
Sanderson Building
The King's Buildings
Mayfield Road
Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, United Kingdom
Phone: ++44 (0)131 650 4 861

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.