Rebeca García Fandiño wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to calculate the PMF of an ion with Gromacs 4. I have read in the Gromacs list that the pull code had been completely rewritten in the new version of Gromacs, but I cannot find much information about the new way to use this.

Reading the manual (pag 280) I can see: “The options -pi, -po, -pd, -pn are used for potential of mean force calculations and umbrella sampling. See manual.”

So, I prepared a tpr and a .ppa file and tried the calculation and used (for example for one window):

source /gpfs/apps/GROMACS/gromacs-4.0.2/bin/GMXRC

srun -n 8 mdrun_s -v -stepout 1000 -s NA-0.0250.tpr -pi NA-0.0250.ppa -po pullout.ppa -pn NA-0.0250.ndx -pd -deffnm NA-0.0250

gzip NA-0.0250.pdo

Being NA-0.0250.ppa:

verbose   = yes

runtype = umbrella pulldim = N N Y reftype = com reference_group = UNK
group_1   = Na_-0.025

K1        = 970.86;           ; kJ / (mol nm^2)

Pos1      = 0.000 0.000 -0.025  ; centre of the umbrella potential

I don´t get any errors during the calculation, however, I did not get any out files such as *.pdo.

I only get the *cpt, *trr, *log and *edr files after the calculation, but no signal of *pdo.

Does anyboy had used Gromacs 4 for calculating PMF? Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, the pull parameters are all specified in the .mdp file now, so you can't supply a .ppa file. Unfortunately, mdrun does not check for unrecognized flags (like -pi, -pn, etc).

Are you reading the right version of the manual? I can find no mention of these old flags in the manual for version 4.

See version 4 manual, section 7.3.21 for COM pulling options.

-Justin

Thank you very much for your help.

Best wishes,

Rebeca Garcia.