What exactly did you try? Something like this?

pdb2gmx -f a.gro << EOF
5
EOF

I have not done -merge myself, but I often pass in multiple 'command-line' arguments in a scripts, although it is necessary to run it through on the command line once to see what the order of arguments should be. I could be the one whose wrong as I have never done -merge, but then again I have never had a problem automating any of the gromacs tools and I don't see why this one should be any different.