On Sun, 27 Dec 2009, Mark Abraham wrote:

bharat v. adkar wrote:

> >     I am trying to perform replica exchange MD (REMD) on a 'protein in
> >   water' system. I am following instructions given on wiki (How-Tos ->
> >   REMD). I have to perform the REMD simulation with 35 different
> >   temperatures. As per advise on wiki, I equilibrated the system at
> > respective temperatures (total of 35 equilibration simulations). > > After
> >   this I generated chk_0.tpr, chk_1.tpr, ..., chk_34.tpr files from the
> >   equilibrated structures.
> >   some error:
> >   -------------------------------------------------------
> >   Program mdrun_mpi, VERSION 4.0.7
> >   Source code file: ../../../SRC/src/gmxlib/smalloc.c, line: 179
> >   Not enough memory. Failed to realloc 790760 bytes for nlist->jjnr,
> >   nlist->jjnr=0x9a400030
> >   (called from file ../../../SRC/src/mdlib/ns.c, line 503)
> >   -------------------------------------------------------
> > :   Cannot allocate memory
> >   Error on node 19, will try to stop all the nodes
> >   Halting parallel program mdrun_mpi on CPU 19 out of 70
> >   ***********************************************************************
> >   same cluster without any problem.
> >   error. I have tested this with 65 processors/65 replicas also.
> > This sounds like you might be running on fewer physical CPUs than you > have available. If so, running multiple MPI processes per physical CPU > can lead to memory shortage conditions.

 I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean, there might be more than 8
 processes running per node (each node has 8 processors)? But that also
 does not seem to be the case, as SGE (sun grid engine) output shows only
 eight processes per node.

65 processes can't have 8 processes per node.
why can't it have? as i said, there are 8 processors per node. what i have not mentioned is that how many nodes it is using. The jobs got distributed over 9 nodes. 8 of which corresponds to 64 processors + 1 processor from 9th node. As far I can tell you, job distribution seems okay to me. It is 1 job per processor.

bharat

Mark

>  I don't know what you mean by "swap memory".

 Sorry, I meant cache memory..

 bharat

> > Mark > > > System: Protein + water + Na ions (total 46878 atoms)
> >   Gromacs version: tested with both v4.0.5 and v4.0.7
> >   compiled with: --enable-float --with-fft=fftw3 --enable-mpi
> >   compiler: gcc_3.4.6 -O3
> >   machine details: uname -mpio: x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >   wrong.

believed to be clean.