Anirban Ghosh wrote:
Hello Justin,

In my topology file I am declaring:
; Include Position restraint file
#ifdef POSRES
#include "posre.itp"
#endif

; Strong position restraints on rest of B2AR
#ifdef STRONG_POSRES
#include "strong_posre.itp"
#endif

What is in strong_posre.itp? Presumably you're only restraining certain residues, right? Did you create this with genrestr and an appropriate index group?

; Include water topology
#include "spc.itp"
And in my .mdp file I am giving:
define = -DSTRONG_POSRES ; Run parameters
integrator      = md            ; leap-frog integrator
nsteps          = 5000          ; 2 * 50000 = 100 ps
dt                 = 0.002         ; 2 fs

If this is the entirety of your .mdp file, you're asking for trouble. Allowing all other parameters to be taken as default is very dangerous, and probably inappropriate (most notably cutoff electrostatics).

But now what I am getting is that if I run MD using these restraints on the helical portion of the protein, then I am getting LINCS errors. However, if I allow the entire protein to move during MD, then it is running fine. What mistake am I making? And how can I freeze properly the helical portions and simulate only the loop? Thanks a lot in advance.

Recognize that there is a difference between "freezing" and "restraining." Read in the manual about what freezing is versus position restraints. Either way, you should be able to get things up and running, but position restraints are a bit easier to implement.

If an unrestrained simulation runs fine (using that fragmented .mdp file?) then there are probably just bad clashes in the system that the restraints are not allowing to relax.

-Justin

Regards,

Anirban