Depending on your system and chosen thermostat, gen-vel=no can be a dangerous idea (very small original velocities simply get scaled up); besides, you should be able to equilibrate from a gen-vel=yes pretty quickly. I don't disagree with Justin's comment, but just because it works doesn't mean its what you should do. I'd stick to an established procedure.

Chris.

-- original mesage --

Hi Justin

I am not using periodic boundary conditions for the simulations. I may
have sorted it out now. I was generating velocities in the umbrella.mdp
file, I have since set gen_vel = no, and the histogram has the correct
shape (should this make a difference?)

Cheers

Gavin