Hi,

if you configure the git version without the "--enable-mpi" flag, it
will turn on threads by default. Depending on the number of processors
you have on your workstation, it will then use these many threads.
You can disable that with

mdrun -nt 1 ...

Carsten

On Jul 10, 2010, at 1:57 AM, Sai Pooja wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had used the following steps to install a git version of gromacs.  It
> installed correctly and I have been using it for a while. However, even
> though I didnt install the parallel version, when I use mdrun it runs in
> parallel. Is installation in the parallel mode by default? Is there a way to
> use it without parallelization?
>
>  301  cd gromacs
>  302  ls
>  303  export CPPFLAGS="-I/fs/home/sm868/fftw-3.2.2/include"
>  304  export LDFLAGS="-L/fs/home/sm868/fftw-3.2.2/lib"
>  305  clear
>  306  ls
>  307  ./configure --help
>  308  ./configure --prefix=/fs/home/sm868/gromacsnew
>  309  make &>log
>  310  ls
>  311  jmacs log
>  312  grep "error" log
>  313  grep "Error" log
>  314  make install
>

> Pooja
>
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalem...@vt.edu> wrote:
>

> Sai Pooja wrote:
> For future reference, I was able to install gromacs and this is what finally
> worked - installing gromacs in a folder different than the untared. It
> somehow helped to not create the folder but just directly using the name in
> the prefix
>
>  301  cd gromacs
>  302  ls
>  303  export CPPFLAGS="-I/fs/home/sm868/fftw-3.2.2/include"
>  304  export LDFLAGS="-L/fs/home/sm868/fftw-3.2.2/lib"
>  305  clear
>  306  ls
>  307  ./configure --help
>  308  ./configure --prefix=/fs/home/sm868/gromacsnew
>  309  make &>log
>  310  ls
>  311  jmacs log
>  312  grep "error" log
>  313  grep "Error" log
>  314  make install
>
> I got the msg - GROMACS is installed under /fs/home/sm868/gromacsnew.
> Make sure to update your PATH and MANPATH to find the
> programs and unix manual pages, and possibly LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> or /etc/ld.so.conf if you are using dynamic libraries.
>

> Thanks for the help.
> *One question - There is already another version of gromacs installed in the
> /usr/local so I used a different directory to install it. Now do I need to
> use "make links"?*
>
> Do you normally make links?  If so, you'll be over-writing the executables in
> /usr/local/bin.  One other possible side effect is that if both
> /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/gromacs/bin are in your $PATH, you can't define
> which executable to use unambiguously without specifying the whole path name
> for each executable.
>
> If you're using several version of Gromacs concurrently on the same machine,
> it's probably best to just install them in their own locations and source the
> proper GMXRC when you log in to use the version you want.

> [...]

Dr. Carsten Kutzner
Theoretical and Computational Biophysics
Am Fassberg 11, 37077 Goettingen, Germany
Tel. +49-551-2012313, Fax: +49-551-2012302
http://www.mpibpc.mpg.de/home/grubmueller/ihp/ckutzne