Moeed wrote:
Dear Justin,

The actual box I got by replicating monomer units has size of 15 0.5 0.5!!!! That is chain has no space to move. I know you have already given me some tips on high repulsion in the system but that had to do with incorrect topology file. I assure you I have learned a lot from your tips ;)

I'm glad to hear it. The same principal still applies, though. If a large system is failing, break it down into manageable pieces to determine where things start to break down. It is easier to solve one problem at a time than several.

This time I need to have such packed system because that gives me the density I want. 0.9g/cm3 for PE! for a chain of 60 ethylene units the size should be identical to the actual size 15 0.5 0.5. And I am wondering how can I work with much longer chains ( 20 times longer)...

You've been given advice about this. You probably will have to simulate within a larger box and slowly compress your system. You have constructed a linear chain of PE within a pre-defined box that gives you the density you want. Ask yourself this: is that what PE looks like, completely rigid and extended? Certainly not. The better approach would be as Vitaly and Chris have suggested - take a single molecule of PE in a very large box (forget your density for a moment) and simulate it. It will probably adopt a much more reasonable structure that you can then work with. Then slowly build up your system - 2, 4, 8 units - and it will likely be far more stable. If your box fits your system exactly, your atoms will be extremely close to one another and you will get a huge vdW repulsion. If you've learned anything from me, you should already know that I want you to break down your energy terms to see what's failing...

md grompp is giving error about degrees of freedom. Any advise on this in appreciated...

Thank you,

md grompp****************************************************************************
aking dummy/rest group for Acceleration containing 2896 elements
Making dummy/rest group for Freeze containing 2896 elements
Making dummy/rest group for Energy Mon. containing 2896 elements
Making dummy/rest group for VCM containing 2896 elements
Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group Eth is 5373.22
Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group EthB is 211.89
Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group EthE is 211.89
Making dummy/rest group for User1 containing 2896 elements
Making dummy/rest group for User2 containing 2896 elements
Making dummy/rest group for XTC containing 2896 elements
Making dummy/rest group for Or. Res. Fit containing 2896 elements
Making dummy/rest group for QMMM containing 2896 elements
T-Coupling       has 3 element(s): Eth EthB EthE
Energy Mon.      has 1 element(s): rest
Acceleration     has 1 element(s): rest
Freeze           has 1 element(s): rest
User1            has 1 element(s): rest
User2            has 1 element(s): rest
VCM              has 1 element(s): rest
XTC              has 1 element(s): rest
Or. Res. Fit     has 1 element(s): rest
QMMM             has 1 element(s): rest

There is no error message here.  What's the problem?

mdpfile**************************************************************************************

title               =  PE-Hexane
;define = -DPOSRES ; tells gromacs to perform position restrained dynamics/include posre.itp into topology used for position restraint pbc = xyz ; use priodic BCs in all directions

;               Run control
integrator = md ; type of dynamics algorithm. Here md uses a leap-frog algorithm for integrating Newtons's eq of motion
dt                  =  0.002            ; in ps !
nsteps              =  5000             ; length of simulation= nsteps*dt
nstcomm = 1 ; frequency for center of mass motion removal

;               Output control
nstenergy = 100 ; frequency to write energies to energy file. i.e., energies and other statistical data are stored every 10 steps nstxout = 100 ; frequency to write coordinates/velocity/force to output trajectory file. how often snapshots are collected= nstxout*dt
nstvout             =  100
nstfout             =  0
nstlog = 100 ; frequency to write energies to log file nstxtcout = 10 ; frequency to write coordinates to xtc trajectory

;               Neighbor searching
nstlist = 10 ; frequency to update neighbor list. Neighborlist will be updated at least every 10 steps. Manual p80 ns_type = grid ; make a grid in the box and only check atoms in neighboring grid cells when constructing a new neighbor list every nstlist steps

;               Electrostatics/VdW
coulombtype = Shift ; tells gromacs how to model electrostatics. Coulomb/LJ potential is decreased over the whole range and forces decay smoothly to zero betw$ vdw-type = Shift ; rcoulomb-switch/rvw-switch & rcoulomb/rvdw rcoulomb-switch = 0 ; where to start switching the Coulomb potential rvw-switch = 0 ; where to start switching the LJ potential

;               Cut-offs
rlist = 1.1 ; in nm. Cut-off distance for short-range neighbor list
rcoulomb            =  1.0              ; distance for coulomb cut-off
rvdw                =  1.0              ; distance for coulomb cut-off

;               Temperature coupling
Tcoupl              =  berendsen
tc-grps = Eth EthB EthE ;HEX ; groups to

OK, this is a terrible idea. You've broken down a bonded molecule into pieces, something that is completely unphysical. Imagine if we coupled individual amino acids of a protein separately...

I'll assume this is the source of your error message, but if that's not the case, please be sure to actually provide all the relevant information.

MILES-IGERT Trainee