I am CC'ing this message to the gmx-users list; please continue any future discussion there. I hadn't realized it was initially posted to gmx-developers, which is the wrong forum for such questions. Comments inline below.

Emanuel Birru wrote:
Hi Jestin,

Thanks for your advise. Just to make sure that whether I understand you
well or not,
Are you suggesting me to put additional constraints on the topology as
below
[ settles ]
; OW    funct   doh     dhh
1       1       0.1     0.16330
1       1       0.1     0.16330
1       1       0.1     0.16330

Which supposed to represent O-H and H-H in addition to the original O-W?

Yes, but what you've posted is wrong. You need a [constraints] directive that does indeed replace the effect of [settles]. What you've posted above does not accomplish that goal and will result in the same fatal error.

-Justin

Thanks,
Emanuel