Karel Berka wrote:

     > Hi all,
     >
     > I have detected that preference in reading forcefield files in
    Gromacs
     > 4.5 has probably been changed from Gromacs 4.0.x and older.
     > In older gromacs, when there was forcefield with modification
    present in
     > my working directory, then it was read preferentially, but now it
    seems
     > that forcefield is primarily read from /share/top directory - Am
    I right?

The working directory is still searched first. Unfortunately, it is not, otherwise ff in subdirectory of my working directory would have been first one to use for grompp. However, pdb2gmx was working fine for protein and ions around.

My guess is that this is a matter of how the force field was #included in the .top file. For instance:

#include "my.ff/forcefield.itp"

will match $GMXLIB first, but

#include "./my.ff/forcefield.itp"

will match the working directory first. Is this perhaps the issue you're finding? Other simple #include statements (like #include "ions.itp", etc) still use the old order of preference, but subdirectories make that a bit more difficult.

     > In 4.5.2 I have tried to have modified gromos53a6.ff in my working
     > directory, but the modification was not used by gromacs.

    What do you mean "not used"?  Was the wrong force field called when
    using
pdb2gmx?

I did not used pdb2gmx since I am simulating membrane protein. The only place when I needed to include forcefield itp was grompp program in use on computer cluster , where I cannot reach /top directory
    Gromacs prints a list of force field subdirectories in the working
    directory, then in GMXLIB, and allows you to choose.  In the 4.5.x
    series, you
    need a full working subdirectory of the modified force field.

FF.dat is not used anymore?

No. The list of force fields is populated from the *.ff entries in the working directory and $GMXLIB.

Zdraví skoro zdravý
Karel "Krápník" Berka

RNDr. Karel Berka, Ph.D.
Palacký University in Olomouc