On 20/12/2010 4:25 PM, vinothkumar mohanakrishnan wrote:
Hi all

I want to use pdb2gmx to generate hexane topology and hexane.gro file. i have added the atom name in .atp file and corresponding section in .rtp file. i have given below my .rtp entry

You don't need to add an .rtp entry, it's as much work as writing your molecule's .itp file and more fiddly.

[ DRG ]
 [ atoms ]
CAA opls_966   0  1
CAF opls_966   0  1
CAB opls_967   0  2
CAC opls_967   0  2
CAD opls_967   0  2
CAE opls_967   0  2

 [ bonds ]
CAA    CAB
CAB    CAC
CAC    CAD
CAD    CAE
CAE    CAF

 [ angles ]
CAA    CAB    CAC
CAB    CAC    CAD
CAC    CAD    CAE
CAD    CAE    CAF

 [ dihedrals ]
CAA    CAB    CAC    CAD
CAB    CAC    CAD    CAE
CAC    CAD    CAE    CAF

but i get the error message as given below and it doesn't generate any .top and .gro file . I searched the mailing list and found a similar post but there is no solution (http://oldwww.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2009-May/041609.html) previously i used pdb2gmx for other molecules and it worked fine for the oplsaa force field. any help is highly appreciated.

Opening library file ffoplsaa.rtp
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/aminoacids.dat
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/aminoacids.dat
WARNING: masses will be determined based on residue and atom names,
         this can deviate from the real mass of the atom type
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/atommass.dat
Entries in atommass.dat: 178
WARNING: vdwradii will be determined based on residue and atom names,
         this can deviate from the real mass of the atom type
Opening library file vdwradii.dat
Entries in vdwradii.dat: 28
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/dgsolv.dat
Entries in dgsolv.dat: 7
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/electroneg.dat
Entries in electroneg.dat: 71
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/elements.dat
Entries in elements.dat: 218
Reading hexane.pdb...
Read 6 atoms
Opening library file /usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/xlateat.dat
26 out of 26 lines of xlateat.dat converted succesfully
Analyzing pdb file
There are 1 chains and 0 blocks of water and 1 residues with 6 atoms

  chain  #res #atoms
  1 ' '     1      6

All occupancies are one
Opening library file ffoplsaa.atp
Atomtype 1
Reading residue database... (ffoplsaa)
Opening library file ffoplsaa.rtp

Program pdb2gmx, VERSION 4.0.7
Source code file: resall.c, line: 279

Fatal error:
in .rtp file at line:

Probably you've mangled the file somehow, like editing on a non-unix system and not changing the line endings, or transferred zero bytes of the file.

PRODRG will be worthless for generating parameters for any force field other than that which it targets. See http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Parameterization for general advice. I'd suggest throwing away what you've been trying to do, and seeking a force field that already has hexane-suitable parameters, preferably with someone else having already published using those parameters. If your literature search comes up empty, perhaps you should choose your force field according to the availability of useful parameterization tools (see http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Steps_to_Perform_a_Simulation), rather than inventing some Frankenstein approach that your reviewer is likely to just laugh at.