devicerandom wrote:
On 13/01/11 21:28, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

Instead
of installing in the same directory where there are existing
executables, what happens if you try to install in a fresh directory?

Uhm, I don't get it - how installing in another directory could change
their names? I still don't dare to type "make install" until I see
g_hbond_453 instead of g_hbond, for example :)

I wanted to make sure you hadn't simply over-written existing
executables, or that there was no strange (unexpected) conflict with
installing to the same directory.

If you're worried about what you're seeing assembled in the source tree
vs. what's installed, don't. The binary built in the source tree is
g_hbond, but will be installed as g_hbond_453:

$ make install
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c g_hbond
'/home/justin/gmx453/bin/./g_hbond_453'
/usr/bin/install -c g_hbond /home/justin/gmx453/bin/./g_hbond_453

Thanks, indeed it works -I didn't think it was make install doing the rename.

However now I have another doubt. I installed it in another directory, to be sure, and indeed the /lib /share /include directories keep their original names -and this feels bad because of clashes. So, I wonder: let's say I have a directory gromacs_407 and another gromacs_453. Each of them contains their /bin, /lib, /share, /include, /top. Does each gromacs know to look in its own correct directory for FF files, for example? (so that gromacs_407 looks in gromacs_407/top and gromacs_453 looks in gromacs_453/top ?)

Yes. I have several installations dating back to 3.3.3 and have never had a problem.

-Justin

thanks!
m.

MILES-IGERT Trainee